A bowl of oats is a blank canvas, ready to be paired with a truckload of other high-quality, nutritious ingredients.
*If you don't like oatmeal see below for Healthy Alternatives to Oatmeal
In a world of green juice and chia seed pudding, this age-old dish is the original, and perhaps most powerful, superfood!
You’re most likely to see oatmeal served with a ton of fixin’s, but even a bowl of plain oats holds its own as a nutritional panacea. Oatmeal is a whole grain (unless you buy oat bran—just part of the seed—as opposed to rolled oats) filled with key vitamins and minerals, a low-glycemic carb that provides lasting energy for your workout and helps fuel recovery without causing a sugar crash, and high in fiber to aid your digestive and metabolic systems.
A bowl of oats is also a big blank canvas, ready to be combined with a truckload of other high-quality, nutritious ingredients. (see below for toppings)
And, it’s easy to make! All you have to do is boil a ratio of 1/2 cup rolled oats to one cup liquid—either water or a milk of your choice—and top it with whatever you need that day. (For steel-cut oats, change the ratio to 1/4 cup oats to one cup liquid.)
Eat your oatmeal : - )
- The OATMEAL LOVE BAR Toppings:
- Fresh Fruit:
- Strawberries – Bananas – Raspberries – Blackberries – Blueberries
- Nuts + Seeds:
- Almonds – Pecans – Walnuts – Pumpkin Seeds – Chia Seeds – Almond Butter – Peanut Butter
- Dried Fruits:
- Apricots – Cranberries – Raisins – Coconut – Cherries
- Sweet Things:
- Chocolate Chips – Caramel – Berry Jam – Brown Sugar – Real Maple Syrup – Honey – Stevia – Agave Nectar
- Cinnamon – Pumpkin Pie Spice – Nutmeg – Vanilla
- Creamy Goodness:
- Milk – Almond Milk – Cream – Half n Half
- The Ultimate OATMEAL Bowls:
- The A B + J Oatmeal = Oats + Almond Butter + Berry Jam + Almonds + Blueberries
- Almond Joy Oatmeal = Oats + Chocolate Chips + Coconut Flakes + Almonds
- Berry Trifecta Oatmeal = Oats + Brown Sugar or Honey+ Strawberries + Blueberries + Raspberries
- ChocoBerry Oatmeal = Oats + Strawberries + Banana + Brown Sugar + Walnuts + Chocolate Chips
- Chock Full of Goodness Oatmeal = Oats + Cranberries + Apricots + Coconut + Almonds + Pumpkin Seeds + Honey
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal = Oats + Brown Sugar + Pecans + Pumpkin Pie Spice + Vanilla + Cream
- Brown Sugar Banana Walnut Oatmeal = Oats + Brown Sugar + Fresh Banana + Walnuts
- Chocolate Love Oatmeal = Oats + Chocolate Chips + Raspberries + Cream
- The Elvis Oatmeal = Oats + Almond or Peanut Butter + Bananas + Brown Sugar
p.s. Here's were you can conveniently buy it: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Grocery-Gourmet-Food-Oatmeal/zgbs/grocery/16318941
DON'T LIKE OATMEAL???
Healthy Alternatives to Oatmeal
The most versatile of all pseudograins! Boil quinoa in water for a simple gluten-free cereal, then top it with creative delights such as fresh or dried fruit, cinnamon, maple syrup, and nuts and seeds! Due to its mild flavor and high protein content, using quinoa as an oatmeal substitute makes for a delicious breakfast.
Don’t be fooled by the name–buckwheat does not contain wheat! It’s classified as a seed in the same family as rhubarb. Buckwheat also contains the mineral magnesium, which helps your body to metabolize carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, as well as supporting the development of healthy tissue, teeth and bones.1 Buckwheat as an oatmeal substitute has a mild nutty flavour and can also be used in place of breakfast cereals. Try it topped with your favorite non-dairy milk, along with bananas, raw nuts, and seeds!
Have you ever heard of a brown rice breakfast? If not, you’re in for a treat!
Brown rice is rich in fiber, selenium, and other minerals such as manganese. The importance of eating a diet high in fiber is not only important to keep you full, but has been linked to healthy weight management as well!2 Try making your usual oatmeal breakfast with brown rice, and see and feel the difference it makes both in the short and long term!
Knowing alternatives and substitutes to your favorite meals is a great way to expand your knowledge. And your taste buds!